Saturday, August 21, 2010

Groundhog Day, Samsara and Salt

Groundhog Day, Samsara and Salt




Visit : tips-stayingcool.blogspot.com

One of my favorite movies of all time, even before I fell into Buddhism was the 1993 movie Groundhog Day staring Bill Murray. It didn't take long before me and all my friends were quoting lines from the movie, and even to this day if I meet someone named Phil, I have to say in a long whiny voice "PHIL? Phillllllll Connors?" I think even besides the fact the movie was incredibly hilarious, it has some unspoken message about it that speaks to the truth of our human condition.

Today, some Buddhist's point to this movie as an example of Samsara, and some temples even have screenings every February 2nd. But what is Samsara and what does Groundhog Day have to do with it? Samsara has been translated into a few different types of meanings in the Buddhist tradition, depending greatly on who you hear it from. However, loosely speaking, Samsara is this wheel of life we are on, these ups and down and endless cycles and perhaps we can even say it stands in opposition of Nirvana.


"I was in the Virgin Islands once. I met a girl. We ate lobster, drank Piña Coladas. At sunset we made love like sea otters. That was a pretty good day. Why couldn't I get that day over and over and over..."
"Today is tomorrow. It happened!"
"No matter what happens tomorrow or for the rest of m



Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails